Thursday 16 March 2017

To market, to market

1 September, 2014

The day wasn’t over with our visit up the Ourika river valley.

Oued Ourika: Oued = River -
pronounced “wed”, as far as I could make out

Off to the market we went. And there was no mistaking when it was market day. All through Morocco, what was a small village in terms of number of houses, mosques and a handful of other buildings would become a heaving mass of people.

Ourika market crowds in the street
And crowds in the 'pop-up' market square

Not to mention animals, and vehicles of all sorts, including the four-legged, and two-, three- and four-wheeled varieties.

Hay on top -
what you can't see in the photo are animals and people below

On offer, as well as the expected fruit and veg, there was clothing, footwear, hardware, you name it ….
I can't emphasise enough how great the local produce was. And a glass of orange juice? "Always" fresh-squeezed. None of this stuff reconstituted from local and imported concentrate!

Fruit and veg 

Spices galore

At the end of a busy day, a dip in the pool cooled me off rather rapidly (the water was just a bit chilly!)

The pool

…. before a walk in the garden, followed by dinner in the “indoor-outdoor” dining space ….

Part of the garden
Indoor - outdoor living/dining space
at Riad Ourika Gardens

and then …… to bed 🙂

Sweet dreams .....


Is Barcelona, is Gaudi – Sagrada Familia (pt.1)

Gaudi is the reason I included Barcelona in the itinerary of my Last Hurrah trip. I’ve loved his work for as long as I can remember. My fi...