Tuesday 14 March 2017

Three days in Iceland: 1 – The South Shore

12 August, 2014

At point of departure from home I wasn’t as happy with my organisation and planning as I have been in the past. It showed up in Iceland, even before I left home. I’d do it differently if I had it to do again. For a three day stop-over I decided two x 1-day tours and one day walking about Reykjavik would be my best chance at a taste of the country. The airport at Keflavik and Icelandair leave a bit to be desired (poor service, bag delay from plane with no information) but everyone and everything else was brilliant.

Typical Icelandic countryside
Because of the bag delay I was panicking about missing my first tour but the bus people smoothed it all out so efficiently, pleasantly, no fuss. That was to the south coast as far as Vik to a beach with black sand (gravel, pebbles and stones, in fact!), basalt columns, caves and amazing rock formations. Oh, and a paraglider!
The South Shore, Iceland
Cave and basalt pillars, South Shore
Spot the paraglider!
On the way there, there were glaciers.


Farm at the foot of Eyjafjallajokull,
the glacier topped volcano that erupted 2010
“Black” glacier – still covered with ash
following the 2010 volcano eruption

Two weeks before this visit, the glacier had become unstable so people were barred from walking where they had been allowed to up until then. The Icelanders have an attitude to safety that assumes a measure of common sense, as typified by the danger sign and how it was posted!

Safety notice, Icelandic style!

On the way back there were wonderful waterfalls.

Waterfall with double rainbow
Seljalandsfoss waterfall
Walking behind Seljalandsfoss -
a damp experience and a slippery scramble over rocks!

And also on the way back there was a museum of Icelandic life, including turf houses. The houses were largely built of stone with turf padding/insulation up the external walls and over the roof. The stone part of the construction reminded me of the houses from 5,000 BC discovered at Scara Brae on Orkney.

Turf houses - insulation when it's freezing!
Stonework, very similar to a Scara Brae kitchen

The latter part of the day gave me one of my worst travel experiences ever. Earlier, I’d asked the Chinese woman in front of me not to lean her head on the window, it was blocking my view. On the way back her husband “defended her honour”. They swapped seats and he reclined his seat – I didn’t know bus seats could recline so far. I asked him to sit up a bit, explained I was being squashed. He wouldn’t budge. But then he complained that my knees were in his back …. well they were being crushed, every move to relieve the pressure, of course he’d feel it. And his head was almost in my lap. If the bus had stopped even a little suddenly I’d have (very unwillingly!) been kissing his bald spot. Oh yuk!!

That night I did treat myself to a better meal than I usually settle for (cheaper meals being a big way of saving money). Boston host Piers had asked an Icelandic colleague for eating out suggestions. I couldn’t find the recommended one I chose but on the strength of the effort they both went to, I found a very nice alternative. Then walked home in ‘daylight’ afterwards in spite of it being after 10 pm!

Hallsgrimskirkja at 10.45 pm

Is Barcelona, is Gaudi – Sagrada Familia (pt.1)

Gaudi is the reason I included Barcelona in the itinerary of my Last Hurrah trip. I’ve loved his work for as long as I can remember. My fi...