Thursday 16 March 2017

Essaouira – a day at the beach

30 - 31 August, 2014

From Marrakech to ocean-side Essaouira it’s a pretty straight 2.5 hour run (plus two stops) on a good road through more seemingly inhospitable land that, I was assured, is alive with wheat in due season.

Does wheat really grow here?

The first stop was to see goats that climbed trees (although sadly ‘assisted’ to stay in place for tourist photos – 10 Dirham thank you).

Goats - Young and Old

The second stop was at a women’s cooperative that processes nuts from argan trees (native to Morocco) into products as diverse as a type of peanut butter (rather tasty, as it happens), hand cream (would have bought some if not so pricey) and shampoo (did buy some, seems OK). Those women, unlike the goat owners, really did earn their money. As all across Morocco, this was manual labour, nothing mechanised.
The woman on the left insisted I take her photo. She was pleased with the result.

Liquefying and kneading argan nuts
What a beautiful smile

I really liked Essaouira. It was big enough to be interesting and small enough to be able to walk all over the place without a guide and not get lost!

This was another town where the Portuguese built themselves a fortress, although the Romans had been there considerably earlier and the Phoenicians before that. My riad was within a stone’s throw of the ramparts. I could see them and the sea if I craned my neck out the window. I went to sleep and woke up to the sound of sloshing waves. Wonderful!

Fit for a queen - or me - at Essaouira

From my window, Essaouira

The port area was a hive of activity with that day’s catch for sale and some of it being cooked and sold at local sit-and-eat stalls. The fish smell right through the area was so strong that it put me off tasting the offerings but that wasn’t the case for a lot of people.

Fishing boats large and small -
as jam-packed as any car park

Part of the daily catch

There were good views from the ramparts, both across the town and along the shoreline and out to sea.

Looking across to the town from the port ramparts

Then walking in and out of many alleyways was like a stroll through Aladdin’s cave, there was so much on offer. I resisted the big ticket items and settled for a souvenir or two. There were the beautiful …

Art gallery

Pottery

Clothing, leather goods, and on it goes

and the, um, quirky ….

Take a seat

Assistance (ahem!) for men – Berber style


Not to mention demonstrations of diverse skills ….


Carving a door frame

Street theatre

In the evening I found a local restaurant and, because I was in a fishing port, ordered the fish targine. As always happens, I was asked if it was good and, as always, I obligingly said of course it was, even though it was very dry. Mine host beamed and said it was conger, as in eel. I wish I hadn’t known that!

Add caption

Next morning, before hitting the road again, there was time for a bit more exploring, this time outside the medina walls. On the beach there were a couple of games of soccer in progress. It looked like junior and senior games, some of the seniors being of the grey-haired, a little balding and portly variety.

Everything stops for a fake injury

Then I found the Catholic church so in I went, Mass a quarter through. It was in French, rapidly spoken so I only caught the odd word. There was a bit of laughter from the congregation of about 25 during the homily so it must have been OK.

The church of Sainte-Anne, Essaouira

Before Mass, apart from the soccer there weren’t too many people about. After Mass there were heaps on the beach, and traffic building to the congestion and full car parks that we’d encountered on our arrival the day before.

But we were off to a very different place – the High Atlas Mountains.

Is Barcelona, is Gaudi – Sagrada Familia (pt.1)

Gaudi is the reason I included Barcelona in the itinerary of my Last Hurrah trip. I’ve loved his work for as long as I can remember. My fi...