Saturday 18 March 2017

Heading to the Sahara

05 September, 2014

The box in my brain marked “Geography” is all too close to empty. I think we might have been technically in the desert for quite a while, with river oases running through it. But on leaving Zagora, we were heading to what westerners think of as “the desert”, i.e. the rolling sand dunes of the Sahara. Mind you, I should know better: the Australian desert is not as barren and devoid of interest as many people think …. even as I thought, before going there.

On the road 1
On the road 2 - new houses being built

We were heading to Merzouga but the address of our accommodation for the night, a kasbah with the French name Auberge Les Dunes D’Or, was, as in the Australian outback, some distance from the named dot on the map.

On the road 3
On the road 4

Along the road in the Ziz valley between Zagora and Rissani, we passed as close as we would get to Hami’s home, pretty close to the Algerian border. Not all that far as the crow flies, but sadly too far by road for them to have some time together. I really felt for this gorgeous young man who clearly adored his wife, daughter and extended family but whose job kept him away from them for so long.

On the road 5 - Crumbling mud bricks

Also on this stretch of road, it was the closest we came to a nomad camp. These people are largely herders of sheep and goats, as I understand it. It does look a bit messy around this camp site but I cannot blame the nomads specifically for it. The one sad thing to see in this truly beautiful country is all the rubbish along the roads. They need a Clean Up Morocco campaign as we have a Clean Up Australia campaign at home. Plus a worldwide restriction on the use of plastic bags!

Nomad camp

Morocco continues the old, world-wide practice of having gates to mark the entrance to administrative areas. A large region might have small gates and a bustling town or city have something more grand, all the way to the truly impressive such as the Blue Gate in Fes.

District gate between Zagora and Rissani
Gate at the entrance to Rissani
Blue gate - Bab Bou Jeloud - Fes

Not all that far on the other side of bustling Rissani, we hit the piste again. Then a shadow growing on the horizon ….

Piste .... with a very faint blur on the horizon
The blur grows ....

And suddenly there it was …. the kasbah at the edge of rolling sand dunes … The Sahara!

Auberge Dunes D'Or

I noted the pool and swam later but right then went straight to my room. Enter through the courtyard, at the far end open the door to my terrace and ... the view: the Sahara, the dunes here called Erg Chebbi, and …… gum trees???!!! Is there nowhere that Australian eucalypts have not spread like weeds!!

Gum trees in the Sahara???!!!

After a long swim, a yummy alfresco meal and a chat with some Australians – it had been a while since I’d heard that accent! – I then wrote the last blog post before giving up to continue when I got home.

My clunky but faithful EeePC



Is Barcelona, is Gaudi – Sagrada Familia (pt.1)

Gaudi is the reason I included Barcelona in the itinerary of my Last Hurrah trip. I’ve loved his work for as long as I can remember. My fi...