Thursday 16 March 2017

On the other side of the mountains ... a land of make-believe

2 September 19, 2014

After Ait Ben Haddou the terrain continued to flatten out.

Mountains pretty much all gone

Morocco is several countries in one – at the movie studios. Some things are always more interesting than others on a tour and the stop at Atlas studios wasn’t high on my ‘must do’ list … but it turned out to be fascinating. If there’s a desert scene in a film, it’s likely to have been shot in Morocco …. from one of my favourites, Lawrence of Arabia, to Tandun, to any number of action movies whose titles I can’t remember because they’re not my thing. We visited ancient Egypt, ancient Rome and China too.

Ancient Egypt in the making
China anyone?

It was both interesting and amusing to watch battle lessons (i.e. a dress rehearsal) for a Phoenician (I think) battle: swords this way 1, that way 2, and back again 3 – Action! And charge! All a bit of a schemozzle first time around. There were more choreography lessons before Take 2! Good work for locals as extras, when needed – but nothing to build a career on I suspect.

Charge!
A bit of a shambles ...

Everything looks totally, totally fake when you see it. What is it with cameras? They don’t do justice to most subjects, yet these poor film imitations come up looking a million dollars.

The reality doesn't look this good!
If only all war planes stayed on the ground like this one

Then it was on to unreality of a different kind – my accommodation at Ouarzazate for the next two nights. Everywhere I stayed was lovely, really good, each place unique. But this – talk about decadence!

Ouarzazate

That’s ‘two’ double beds

I didn’t swim in the huge pool or play petanque but both were catered for. That so much water could be given over to a handful of tourists while the lake in the background was well down was offensive, to be honest.

Pool, and lake in the background
Petanque terrain -
just right for my friends Chris & Brian

Water is in short supply for farmers and ultimately for food. Not that I wasn’t thankful for, and I certainly made use of, the more modest sized pools elsewhere that I stayed. That would make me some sort of hypocrite I guess 😦


Is Barcelona, is Gaudi – Sagrada Familia (pt.1)

Gaudi is the reason I included Barcelona in the itinerary of my Last Hurrah trip. I’ve loved his work for as long as I can remember. My fi...