Sunday 19 March 2017

Cities, imperial and ancient

8 September 2014


On the road again

Ifrane was a bit of an oddity – that piece of Europe in Morocco. Pleasant but …. I was glad to be heading to Fes via Meknes and Volubilis, the latter European of a sort, an ancient outlying city of the Roman epoch.

Old Meknes is an imperial walled city. 





Imperial palace walls and gates
And then there’s the new city with apartments and satellite dishes!

Modern Meknes
Morocco is a country of arches, the entrance to most cities and large towns being marked by them. And doorways (presumably of the more wealthy) are amazing, highly decorated, both external and internal doors. Two of the best are in Meknes, Bab Mansour and Bab er Rih.

Bab Mansour
Bab er Rih
Entrance to the mausoleum of Moulay Ismael

The Mausoleum of Moulay Ismail has a magnificent entrance, as befits a sultan who reigned for 55 years and transformed the city during that time. Inside there are a number of courtyards and ante-rooms leading to the royal tombs. The whole is lush with tiled and carved decoration.







Next it was on to a stunning feat of engineering – the grain stores. A massive building, with piped water underneath. Enough grain could be stored for the city for the duration of siege or famine. A large part of the structure is now without a roof. But what you can see is the perfect symmetry of the arches. You can run your eyes straight down corridors or at an angle for the depth of the building.






Outside is a storage lake (looks more like a pool, many times the size of an Olympic one). It was also used for leisure activities. I must say, when I saw it, I did think I’d like the water to be filtered before I drank any of it! The granary can be seen at the far end of the lake.




And then … lunch!! The Moroccans make good use of their flat rooftops. Sitting, relaxing, over lunch, we looked over an odd site. Like a square or plaza but instead of people using the space, it was studded with “things”. It turned out they were light and air vents for an underground prison. Dreadful thought!

View at lunch
After lunch there was a real trip back in time. Off to the ancient Roman city of Volubilis. You entered the site via a visitor centre, a large facility built discreetly into the side of a hill, but not open at the time. Helpfully, in the open undercroft there are maps of the site and some general information. I resisted a guide. I can’t stand the haggling over price and as I’ve seen a lot of Roman ruins before, I felt more comfortable just going with my admittedly scant knowledge.

Visitor Centre





Volubilis brought back many memories, particularly of my visit to Tunisia. But there were also reminders of Agrigento in Sicily, and Istanbul. There was even a reminder of Rome – the Triumphal Arch here is very reminiscent of the Arch of Constantine. Or some of the more modern arches, come to that, such as the Arc de Triomphe in Paris and the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin.





And last but not least, the mosaics and the stunning setting.






After a full day, we finally arrived in Fes where I stayed at the most friendly, beautiful, comfortable riad, Riad Layali Fes – a swim, followed by dinner … both just outside the door of my suite (yes, a suite!).
Then off to the land of nod 🙂

Double doors to my suite, at the left.
Pool at the rear, through the archways.
Looking from the bed, through the sitting area,
down the corridor towards the bathroom and dressing room.
From the top balcony,
looking down to the dining area and the pool.
My suite on the left.


Is Barcelona, is Gaudi – Sagrada Familia (pt.1)

Gaudi is the reason I included Barcelona in the itinerary of my Last Hurrah trip. I’ve loved his work for as long as I can remember. My fi...