Monday 20 March 2017

A too-short day in Fes

9 September, 2014

Fes, the oldest of the imperial cities, is described as the cultural and cuisine capital of Morocco. Not sure about the food bit as I enjoyed Moroccan food wherever I went. The day in Fes was a mix of driving through different quarters with Hami, and on foot with a local guide. As in many countries, general guides such as Hami are not permitted to act as guides in main cities. You are required by regulation to have a local authorised guide … or DIY with no guide at all. I certainly saw lots but have to admit that the Fes guide was not a patch on the one I had in Marrakech.

First stop was at yet more magnificent gates: the royal palace. There are royal palaces all over the country, all kept in a state of readiness just in case the king happens by.

Royal Palace, Fes

Next, a drive to Borj Nord, the northern tower of a 16thC fortress on top of a hill overlooking Fes – 360 deg. views including over the medina where new same-same apartment blocks are creeping (or is that galloping?!) up the hill.

Hill-top fortress
New apartments spreading up the hill

Note more arched gates
in the centre of the photo

Down the hill again and on to the Art Naji pottery and mosaic factory. Fascinating to see the starting product – mud! – and the variety of finished objects it can be turned into. There is a lot of hand-decorating, a lot of it done by women (pity I didn’t get a photo).

The raw material - mud!
Kiln - more sophisticated than Tamgroute

The ornate mosaics that beautify a plain tap can be seen throughout Morocco.
The in situ example here is in Place Njjarine in the medina.



And this man’s output reminded me of Edmund De Waal, an example of whose work I stumbled upon in Vienna.

Pots!

Another short drive and then my local guide and I were off on foot, into the Medina, via the Blue Gate, Bab Bou Jeloud, which is blue on one side … and green on the other!

Bab Bou Jeloud, Fes - the Blue gate
The other side of which is ... green!

I love the souks. Having much more time to wander would have been great. But alas …. not enough time to see and do everything. Food abounds, as do artisans of all sorts.

I didn’t buy a carpet, gosh I love those!, but I did buy a handbag, the softest leather. Saw one I liked. Decided how much I’d be prepared to pay at home, converted it to local currency and that was my bargaining strategy.
When the salesman started at top dirham, I just kept repeating my figure, half the original stated price, until he worked his way down to it. If I was being too cheap, I was prepared to walk away from it. When he reached my price he put on a great performance of being hard done by, he’d have to ask the boss, etc etc. But he was already wrapping the bag as we made our way to the ‘boss’ who, without looking or saying a word, took my money. Transaction done! I was happy and assume they were too. I always wonder just how low sellers will go under this system.

Scenes from the souk - fresh produce, craftsmen at work, all sorts of things for sale ....












One disappointment was not seeing those multi-coloured dye vats that are so frequently used in tourist publicity. I only saw the rather bland – neutral tonings! – tanning vats. I had no idea the set-up was so ramshackle. But I did see a little bit of colour – purple dye running down the street.






To say the souks are crowed is a waste of breath because the only possible response is, “Of course!” The buildings are cheek by jowl and the streets are from the pre-car era, suitable for pedestrians and donkeys only.




But in the midst of the squish – suddenly … open spaces, small but beautiful, sometimes with small workshops opening onto them. 

Coppersmiths at Place Seffarine

Place Njjarine

The open spaces near gates in the walls are not so picturesque. Temporary stalls abound and are nothing like as inviting as the shops and stalls within the souks.



It was upstairs again for lunch - the places only locals know. A good place from which to look down, and across the sky line.

Looking down on Place Seffarine
Crowded rooftops
with the fortress, BorJ Nord, on the horizon

A couple of buildings of note …

Madersa Bouanania – still in use today as a religious establishment so much of it is closed to tourists. But it is enough to walk through the entrance to the most beautifully decorated courtyard: marble, tiles, carved cedar, stucco work.








There is no access at all to the Kairaouine mosque and university. You can but gape through the entrance and wonder at what glories might be inside. As with the granaries in Meknes, you can view into the distance through the arches, both straight ahead and at an angle.




It was time to meet up with Hami again. Time to stop walking (briefly!) and drive around the outskirts of the wall, a walk down an alley or two, and it was back at my lovely riad for dinner.






Afterwards, it was still light so I made my way back through the alleys to a small plaza – only a few minutes away. One side of the plaza was bordered by a busy road with a traffic island that was basically a large fountain.
The plaza was filled with families, lots of children, a magnet for an ice-cream truck, Mr Whippy style. I sat down and people watched for a while. Again, as in Ifrane, a couple of people sat down and chatted with me. A lovely end to a fascinating day.





Is Barcelona, is Gaudi – Sagrada Familia (pt.1)

Gaudi is the reason I included Barcelona in the itinerary of my Last Hurrah trip. I’ve loved his work for as long as I can remember. My fi...