Thursday 16 March 2017

More mountains ... more of a photo essay!

2 September, 2014 
Oh yes, the mountains

Sewerage, running water and electricity are not the norm for everybody outside of big cities. Huge works are underway to bring electricity to more people. New and improved roads and bridges are also under construction all over the place.



Electricity sub-station under construction

En route, as we passed through the changing countryside, there were the language lessons. I brushed up my French quite a bit, and learned a few words of Berber, but my accent was awful – there are quite a few Germanic style guttural sounds that are beyond me (as are the rolling Rs in French – woman or farm, femme or farrrm??!!). In return, I passed on some English words – ‘tail-back’ cropped up a bit!


Leading the tailback up a slow hill

…… as we mixed it with the traffic.


Hay-laden truck
Hay-laden donkey …
We swapped vehicles at Ouarzazate, from Toyota to Mitsubishi,
from cracked windscreen (the blob in the photo) to impeccable windscreen.

I also had to distinguish between my chapeau and my tete – hat and head sounded the same to Hami. As did ship and sheep. What does that say about my pronunciation?!

We drove and drove. I never ceased to be amazed at where ground would be levelled for a football pitch, or where you would see sheep and goats grazing, in the charge of nomads .... and beehives, of all things. Not to mention prickly pear - the fruit is on sale everywhere.

Football pitch
Sheep and goats grazing
Beehives

Prickly pear

We twisted and turned.


Careful!

We climbed the High Atlas and crossed the Tizi n’Tichka Pass, the range's highest pass.


Highest pass in the High Atlas mountains

The sights kept changing.
Mostly it was overcast but occasionally the sky, as well as the scenery, was spectacular.
The photo doesn't do justice to the colours in the mountains.
There were trees and no trees and it was (still!) hard to believe that crops do grow where preparations were being made.


Stunning sky
Colourful mountains
Preparing for planting

Mid afternoon we stopped for lunch at Ait Ben Haddou …… then visited its old kasbah.


Time for a late lunch
Ksar Ait Ben Haddou -
made completely of mud bricks
Intricate decoration
On display: the forerunner of today's door locks

The best way I can describe a kasbah (probably not too accurately) is as something that looks like a castle or fortress and which contains ‘apartments’ for various members of a family (e.g. parents, their children and their children’s families) plus various workers/tradesmen who would keep the family comfortable. A large home for both nobility and servants, you might say (perhaps quite wrongly!).


Ait Ben Haddou -
Bowls for sale, an old kasbah and an old look-out post


Is Barcelona, is Gaudi – Sagrada Familia (pt.1)

Gaudi is the reason I included Barcelona in the itinerary of my Last Hurrah trip. I’ve loved his work for as long as I can remember. My fi...