Saturday 18 March 2017

A day on the edge …. of the Sahara Desert

6 September, 2014

Travelling through Morocco in areas where mud-brick construction predominates, it’s difficult for a stranger to tell what different buildings and clusters of buildings might be, construction and design are so similar. But you always know a school. Schools are colourful, either because the buildings themselves are painted in rainbow colours or because there are bright murals on the walls.

Typical school
School gates

Before heading into the desert, time was spent visiting what the tour programme referred to as “the Merzouga oasis area”. On the whole, it looked more like desert than oasis! Although we did see what most Westerners (I think) would regard as an oasis: the little circle of palm trees and a dwelling or two in the middle of “the desert”.

The Western idea of a desert oasis
In reality, an oasis is bigger, sometimes much bigger, than the Western idea of one.

The desert-edge oasis village of Merzouga

While we’d seen camels before now, this part of the world is really their home. I’m not sure how it works. Some seemed to be restricted in one way or another, others seemed to be quite free to wander at will without straying from the general area where they’re supposed to be.

Camel country 
Tucker time
Time for a rest before work

There is little water to be seen but it’s there somewhere.

Wells in the desert
Looking down a well
…. although I couldn’t actually see any water!

You can take “heat treatment” …. not sure if this is supposed to make you more healthy, more beautiful, or both. But no way that I’d give it a go. Just too hot!

Preparing the treatment area

Taking the treatment

Then it was off to the black Moroccan village of Khamlia. I was interested that Hami referred to these people as Africans. Was he not African himself? Interestingly, “Africans” to him are what “Africans” are to Australians, the very dark-skinned inhabitants of the continent who live south of the Sahara. Khamlia was the home of Africans who had migrated north so this was a different experience of Morocco.

"African" musicians - Groupe des Bambaras

The music of Groupe des Bambaras at Khamlia was percussive for the most part, accompanied by some singing. There was also dancing when a larger tour group arrived …. but I refrained from giving my two left feet an outing!

Only one stringed instrument

We were served mint tea …. I love that drink!

Mint tea ….
 and a most beautiful musician of the future 🙂

I bought a CD but like the band in the Paris Metro and the choir at a church in St Petersburg, the CD doesn’t completely capture the vivacity of the group, the vibrations that you can physically feel.

***

Not an occasion for photos was a visit to the home of a local Merzouga family, well known to Hami, for morning tea/lunch – more mint tea plus Moroccan pizza. I felt a bit awkward about this, as though I were invading someone’s home. But then, such ‘invasions’ are a part of the tourist industry that brings income to the area. I experienced the cultural divide at first hand. I was a guest but all the other people in the room were men. The wife of the head of the household, plus some young children, only came into the room to serve us.

I also had one of the loveliest experiences here. There was no “here’s the bathroom” to wash your hands before eating. Instead, a basin, jug and hand towel were offered. You held your hands over the basin and water was poured over them. It was such a personal, intimate experience. Quite sensuous really.

Afterwards I learned just how well Hami knows this family. We got outside and he pointed to the house next door. “That’s mine!” Still being built and where he will eventually live with his wife and daughter (both clearly adored by him), moving out of his father’s home.

And then it was back to base at Kasbah Dunes D’Or.

Approaching Kasbah Dunes D’Or
I’d been warned that electricity supply could be intermittent but in fact had no trouble. Places this isolated don’t have mains power. There must be generators but they weren’t noticeable, either visually or aurally. Just how many had solar power as well I couldn’t guess as panels were unobtrusive. I didn’t notice these panels until I got home and looked closely at the photos I’d taken. 
(On the other hand, satellite dishes grew like topsy, only too obvious on roofs everywhere!)

Rear of the Kasbah

In the photo above, my terrace is immediately left of the small room protruding from the walls. Solar panels are above that.

Before heading off for a night in the desert there was time for a very welcome dip in the deliciously cool pool ... the pool fringed by gums!

The kasbah pool



Is Barcelona, is Gaudi – Sagrada Familia (pt.1)

Gaudi is the reason I included Barcelona in the itinerary of my Last Hurrah trip. I’ve loved his work for as long as I can remember. My fi...