Wednesday 15 March 2017

London … city of culture – the galleries

16 - 25 August, 2014

Art galleries got a look in. First was the Hayward Gallery at the Southbank Centre, to see the gallery as much as anything. Which was just as well. “The Human Factor surveys how artists over the past 25 years have reinvented figurative sculpture.” What a load of rubbish it was. One exception to my overall verdict was the impressive Ecce Homo, the first sculpture to stand on the empty fourth plinth at Trafalgar Square.

Hayward Gallery

Imagine my surprise at seeing a cobalt blue rooster on the fourth plinth during this visit!
Blue rooster, Trafalgar Square
The nearby skaters’ haunt is apparently under threat. I hope it’s not lost to skaters. It’s hard to see what else could be done with the space.

Skaters' haunt

Next was the National Portrait Gallery for a Virginia Woolf exhibition. This included some very interesting material but, oh dear, too much crammed into too small a space. 
Elsewhere in the gallery was the current crop of BP Portrait Prize finalists. This is the second time I’ve seen a Portrait Prize show and again I was most impressed, far better than Australia’s Archibalds which seem always to consist of people in a smallish clique all painting each other. In the BP prize there was a small number of artists who had painted members of their family, but by and large the subjects had little or no connection to each other. In fact, the winner was a portrait of a street person. 
I also came across a portrait of my daughter-in-law’s namesake, Emmeline Pankhurst, in a display put together to commemorate the suffragette movement.

Emmeline Pankhurst - leading suffragette

Third was Tate Modern where I thoroughly enjoyed an exhibition of Matisse’s cut-outs, a third event that The Tablet alerted me to. Simple but effective.

Matisse Cut-Outs - at Tate Modern

I had a quick squizz around the rest of the gallery, very little of which I’d give tuppence for. But there was a small collection of Russian propaganda posters that caught my eye.

Propaganda, Russian style

Because it was there (and free!!), en route to my second ill-fated attempt to see the Chelsea Physic garden, I popped into the Saatchi Gallery. Even less to my taste than Tate Modern! On leaving, I asked for directions. The young woman was (I’m guessing) Polish, but by way of Chicago, or so it seemed. Like Chicagoans when I was there in 2011, it was as though the words “Sorry, I don’t know” were forbidden to pass her lips. She only sent me 180 degrees in the wrong direction!

This is art - Saatchi style




Is Barcelona, is Gaudi – Sagrada Familia (pt.1)

Gaudi is the reason I included Barcelona in the itinerary of my Last Hurrah trip. I’ve loved his work for as long as I can remember. My fi...