Sunday 19 March 2017

Goodbye to the desert

7 September 2014

After returning by camel from my night spent in a desert camp, it was off to shower and change. What would have been bliss at that point would have been time to simply gaze at the dunes, contemplating the magic of my overnight adventure. Alas! Not to be. We were off again, in this land of contrasts.


No time to lie down and contemplate the desert outside the door

Retracing our route through Merzouga and Rissani, first stop was on the outskirts of Erfoud. In “age of the earth” terms, we were not so far from the sea so it shouldn’t have been surprising to learn we were in an area that abounds in sea creature fossils. Our stop was to visit a factory that processed these fossils – individual ones and great slabs of them.





Anything from small plates to large table tops, large and small containers, you name it – you could get it in fossilized stone. Two of the kasbahs I stayed in had fossil hand basins, one the size of the one in the photo here, the other twice the size. I wouldn’t have minded buying a small souvenir but everything I liked failed the “How heavy is it? Will it break?” test. I still had some baggage restrictions to worry about!





Back on the road again, we were tracking the path of Ziz River. We stopped for lunch at a rather grand establishment overlooking the Ziz Gorge at Taddamoute. You don’t see any water of course. All you see is the date palm groves.
Yet more stunning views of Morocco, from the terrace at lunchtime.



Ziz River Valley

Following lunch, it was time for serious driving, climbing the High Atlas into the Middle Atlas Mountains, through to Ifrane, a city that seemed plain wrong, such was the contrast with what we had just left behind! 
More rain, but ever so brief in spite of the threatening clouds. 


Thankfully not much rain from these clouds

We started to encounter traffic again. The major roads are really good to drive on. There’s been a massive road-building / sealing scheme here. Reminders of a home: a town name that could have been Aboriginal, graffiti on the road sign, roadside fruit stalls.

Traffic, Moroccan style
Road tunnel
Boulajoul
Fruit stall - almost like home

Vegetation began to appear, slowly at first, but the countryside got greener and greener. We left the hot desert and only a few hours later we were in a ski resort, granted in summer season, minus the snow. In ski season, apparently the place is booming with tourists from Europe.
We swapped sand for fruit trees for forests, mud brick kasbahs for European style hotels, with several nomad camps in between.
I stayed at Hotel Perce Neige – Snowdrop Hotel … a bit different to Golden Dunes!!! Did I say this is a land of contrasts!


Getting greener
Fruit trees
Nomad camp

We passed a large and growing military establishment, a dry river and a sadly depleted lake (which presumably fills with melted snow in spring, the river also), and some funny looking fence things – barriers to help keep snow from drifting onto the road. At one point there were relatively newly planted palms. I was intrigued by their bamboo ‘collars’, used to force the trunks to grow taller – it reminded me of those African and Burmese women with all their neck rings.

Military base on the road to Ifrane
Military base extension
Depleted lake
Dry river bed 
Roadside snow barrier
"Collared" baby palm trees

Late in the afternoon we arrived on the outskirts of Ifrane – heralded by new buildings and housing developments! The forests also became more dense. Indigenous Barbary macaques (a type of monkey – the ones that were introduced to Gibraltar) roam the forests and I was lucky enough to spot one. Not quick enough with my camera though 😦


Forests becoming quite dense
New-ish mosque
New housing development
So suburban

Once settled in my hotel, quite close to the city centre, I went off to explore this very European city with its gardens, cafes (I went “French” for dinner) and steeply pitched roofs complete with storks!


Fountains
Europe in North Africa

It was a balmy evening so lots of people, many family groups, were out enjoying themselves. I sat in the city ‘square’ for a little while for the pleasure of people watching. A local came up to chat for a few minutes – a lovely surprise.

Post Office, Ifrane
Balloon Boy
City 'square'

When darkness fell I was very glad I’d put some effort into memorising the twists and turns back to the hotel!


Fountain by night
Show me the way to go home

In the morning – Fes!


Let’s go to Fes!




Is Barcelona, is Gaudi – Sagrada Familia (pt.1)

Gaudi is the reason I included Barcelona in the itinerary of my Last Hurrah trip. I’ve loved his work for as long as I can remember. My fi...