Wednesday 15 March 2017

Everyone kept saying ... ”Welcome to Morocco”

26 August, 2014

I got to Heathrow by tube in comfortable time for my flight to Casablanca. Lots of young teenagers about. Oh, no! They were on my flight. It was like be trapped on a school bus with a gaggle of over-exuberant puppies. Never mind the mixed metaphors!

Spain - or maybe Portugal - down below

From Seat 22A I was a long way from last off the plane. Got to border control, got in a queue … which then seemed like my usual luck, the slowest. I thought of changing but other times I’ve done that it’s gone from bad to worse, so this time, for once, stayed put. Slowly, slowly; other queues quickly, quickly. Finally I got to the head of the queue. And what happens?! The bloke ups and offs. I was the very last from the flight through border control! Not happy.

More queues for various mysterious checks and at very long last I was out the door. Because the flight was due at 9.30pm, in fact 8.30 pm local time – they don’t change the clocks in summer, they change the time they do everything – I booked a car and driver to take me to my hotel, some distance away in the beach area, the Corniche. No way I wanted to be haggling prices at that time of night.

So I get outside and see my name. We head to the car and the driver says to me, “Tomorrow we’ll do ….. this and that.” Oh no, I’m about to be kidnapped. In a country where touting, hassling and bargaining are the ways business is done, I thought he was trying to lure me away from my booked tour. It took a bit of working out that the driver who collected me was to be my driver for the tour. It wasn’t a separate, unrelated taxi that had collected me after all.

At long last, arrived at the hotel. A good night’s sleep and the next morning was a different day. Thank God!



Is Barcelona, is Gaudi – Sagrada Familia (pt.1)

Gaudi is the reason I included Barcelona in the itinerary of my Last Hurrah trip. I’ve loved his work for as long as I can remember. My fi...