Wednesday 15 March 2017

One wrong turn leads to another

16 - 25 August, 2014

The first day I headed to the Chelsea Physic Garden started with getting on the wrong train. (The second day I headed to there it wasn’t open but we won’t go there – I didn’t read the opening times properly, and to top that off, the nearby Army Museum was closed until 2016 for renovations.)

Chelsea Physic Garden, through the railings
National Army Museum

The wrong train led me to the most touristy thing I did in London, going to O2 (formerly the Millenium Dome) and from there a ride on the corporately named Emirates cable car.

View of O2 from the cable car

Both reminded me of Melbourne: the O2 area being as soulless as Melbourne’s Docklands area, and the cable car being sited in a less than exciting viewing area, as is Melbourne’s troubled Star Observation Wheel. The cable car ride lasted all of five minutes but it wasn’t expensive, you could even use your Oyster card. Bonus! (I did feed my Oyster Card quite a bit while in London!!)


Fly Emirates cable car

After the cable car and not spotting where the tube entrance was (still hoping to get to that garden!), I found myself across the river from the Tower of London, one place I’ve never really wanted to visit but I did get an excellent view of its walls, and the growing field of ANZAC poppies, as I joined the throngs and headed to the walk across Tower Bridge.


Tower of London, from the approach to Tower Bridge

No sooner had I crossed than the warning sounded: all traffic off the bridge, it was to be raised to let a (motoring) yacht pass. I don’t know how often it happens but it was a sight to see.


Tower Bridge - raised

The next twist of fate led me to the Old Operating Room of Old St Thomas’s Hospital. To get there I had to climb a tower for it is housed in the former ringing chamber and roof space of what remains of the church of the old hospital.
Up the tower at Old St Thomas's

This would have to be the smallest and quaintest museum I’ve ever been to, crammed as it is with old operating instruments, dried herbs, a snake skin and ancient medical paraphernalia galore.


Ladies! ... a cervical dilator 😝
... amongst other things

I dare say it’s cleaned regularly but it’s filled with dust traps and with the old wooden beams – you wouldn’t want to drop a match! The operating room itself was quite small and those observing surgeries were jammed in like sardines (the space between the railings meant being thin was compulsory!).


Old operating theatre
There was time for a quick snack (couldn’t resist an amaretti biscuit!) at Borough Market before Evensong at Southwark.

I did manage to get home OK. Just as well! - a delicious pub dinner and a lovely chat with my host Adrian was still on the ‘to do’ list!


Is Barcelona, is Gaudi – Sagrada Familia (pt.1)

Gaudi is the reason I included Barcelona in the itinerary of my Last Hurrah trip. I’ve loved his work for as long as I can remember. My fi...