Sunday 19 March 2017

A desert rose amongst the thorns

6 – 7 September, 2014

Right! Where was I?
Let’s hope this attempt at getting back to blogging is more successful than my last.

I’d just had a very refreshing dip in the pool at Kasbah Dunes D’Or. And then …. thinking back to my less than successful donkey ride at Ouarzazate, it was time to grit my teeth and get on a camel. Not a pretty sight! Me, not the camel!! Seat belts? No. There was a T bar handle to grip, not more than 25cm wide and no stoppers at the ends to stop sweaty, fearful hands slipping off. I held on like grim death! Didn’t let go until we got to camp. Surviving departure boosted my confidence just a little. As the camel stood, I lurched forward, in great fear of pitching over its head. We were off, on our way to spend the night in the Sahara, on the edge of a 25km long, 5km wide dune known as Erg Chebbi.

Camels are often referred to as ships of the desert. Certainly they have the rock and pitch motion of a small boat riding waves. Going uphill wasn’t too bad. But downhill it was that “over the top” feeling again. I was at the head of the train – the safest spot, I gather, and my lovely driver/guide, Hami’s brother, led us on foot. I’m not sure how far we went and how long it took. It seemed like miles and hours! But probably not.

What seemed like half an hour into the journey, a dune buggy came driving up. As I saw it in the distance, I thought how wonderful it would be to be riding on that instead of a camel. I simply couldn’t believe it, the kindness!, when the two young men came right up to us and said they were there to collect me if I wanted to dismount. Thinking back to my donkey ride and my dread in anticipation of the camel ride, Hami had organised this for me. But I then thought, I can’t fail two rides, so I stayed with the camel, still fearful though I was.

Before dawn

Eventually we got to the camp, all the men and me. Interesting! There were three groups: me, three youngish blokes, and a group of older academics with a young PhD student, physical sciences, I think, from Italy and Morocco, having a break before getting down to whatever their work was. Each group had its own table and tent. So effectively I ate alone. I’m not sure how many attendants there were, maybe half a dozen, including the camel men. The evening meal was typical Moroccan and delicious.

The sun rises

The youngish blokes kept to themselves – maybe they didn’t want to share the hashish they were smoking! In my innocence, I’d never seen hash grated and the cigarettes rolled before!!
The academics had their wine and the young student fell asleep very quickly after eating and not much drinking on his part. The older blokes kept on talking, and talking. One in particular.
Later, The Talker came over and started to chat. For a while he was interesting but then got very boring with his theories of life and the place of women – mysogynist, needless to say. Finally I told him to go away as I had to go to sleep. So he went off to his group.

The desert camp at dawn

The hash smokers and I decided to sleep under the stars and a full-ish moon. We missed the full beauty because those grown academics were so childish. There was a light on a pole (Electricity from where? Battery? Solar?) and they insisted that it remain on. They were afraid of creepy crawlies and goodness knows what monsters they imagined might visit the camp!!!

A few hours later, rain! A rare event in the desert. Everyone outside gathered up their bedding and rushed to their tents. That’s when I started to imagine things! It got a bit windy and the rugs that made the tent walls flapped and flapped, sounding (in my imagination) like an animal trying to find its way in. As it was, the rain was very brief – we could have stayed under the stars.
I should mention, we were not in the "Luxury Camping Tents" that you see advertised. Our tents looked very much like those I saw en route that nomads and shepherds were living in. I did have an en suite toilet though - a self-composting porta-loo!

Looking back to my sunrise perch.
My footsteps on the right.
And yes, that's a rhododendron bush.

And then it was morning. The hash smokers and I got up to a dawning light and climbed the nearby dune to watch the sun rise. It was steeper than it looks in the photos and my feet sank down in the sand. But the effort was more than well rewarded! Although there were a few people a way off, it felt like I was alone in the magnificent landscape. Sitting, waiting, slowly the sun rising over the dune opposite.

I can understand the attraction to the early Christian “Desert Fathers”. The beauty and isolation are stunning. Reminiscent of the Australian Kimberley, but very different too.

Breakfast!
With ancient and modern water 'jars'

But all good things …. down the dune to breakfast! A cross between Moroccan and Western. Not that I have a cloth on the table at home! Scrumptious. 
Preparations were made and all too soon it was back on my camel.

Preparing the camels for the return journey
Heading back

The journey back to Kasbah Dunes D’Or didn’t seem nearly as long or as far as the previous day’s travel! I finally gathered a bit of courage and took some photos as we trekked.

Camel up close and personal

Gorgeous ugly! This camel, supposedly following mine, nudged and slobbered on my leg at one point. I’d have patted him if I’d dared let go both hands!

I wasn’t afraid of getting lost in the desert either, should I have been abandonned en route. The wind might have blown the camels tracks away, but their poop, “desert dates”, were more difficult to dislodge and remained a constant guide!!

Almost there!

I got back safely back thanks to Hami’s brother and my gentle,trusty camel.
The camel men and caterers looked after us so well. The camels were a joy – even if ugly and slobbering! I’d be exhausted too after carrying me on my back!

A well-earned rest for 'my' camel

Definitely a bucket list experience. What a privilege to have done it.

The magnificent Sahara



Is Barcelona, is Gaudi – Sagrada Familia (pt.1)

Gaudi is the reason I included Barcelona in the itinerary of my Last Hurrah trip. I’ve loved his work for as long as I can remember. My fi...