Wednesday 15 March 2017

London – my favourite city

16-25 August 31, 2014

I love London! But their fetish for stairs is a pain in the legs and their signs that only get you halfway to somewhere are a pain somewhere else! And perhaps I should be a bit miffed that, while at home everyone says I don’t look as old as I am, in London, when I asked for a seniors concession, Not. One. Person. wanted proof that I qualified. Since money was involved, I can only assume that friends and acquaintances at home are being kind rather than truthful 😉

There was music, a couple of plays, art galleries …. and more. My first three days in London were spent at Ian Baker House, another UCL residence. I’m a great fan of university accommodation!

Courtyard view from my room at Ian Baker House

Then after my Norfolk stint, it was six nights at the home of a friend. Adrian was there to start with but he then trusted me with his home while he went off on holidays of his own. This latter accommodation was south of the river, entirely new territory for me. But so convenient with the tube nearby.

My second London 'home'

The place I stayed in London for my first three visits, formerly a Quaker establishment in Byng Place and not now available, has been done up, as have the grungy roads and paths in the vicinity so it is now a much better looking streetscape than it was 15 years ago.

The former Quaker place

Top of my “want to see” list was the Battersea Power Station. The Gatwick Express kindly obliged, slowing almost to a standstill at this point on the approach to Victoria station as I arrived in London from Reykjavik.

Battersea Power Station

Most important though, as always, was my “want to meet” list, i.e. the people. In this case, Adrian as mentioned, and two ringers, Billy whom I hadn’t seen for more years than I cared to remember (Billy had done the maths – it wasn’t pretty!!) – a most enjoyable catch-up over a pub lunch, and Elizabeth, AKA e-aunt, whom I met up with at a ringing practice then afterwards we talked for ages, again in a pub. I was very kindly given a ring at this practice at Shoreditch – the band so good that even at my best I could never have hoped to ever come close to their skills. I was sorry to miss JPA but our times didn’t coincide this time.

THANK YOU ALL for your time and company (and homes) … I really, really enjoyed and appreciated it!


Never say never and all that, but realistically, as I flew out to Morocco on 26 August, it was a case of Farewell to Old England forever …. although bound for Melbourne rather than Botany Bay, and unlike of old, via Morocco, Barcelona, Vienna and Turkey.


Is Barcelona, is Gaudi – Sagrada Familia (pt.1)

Gaudi is the reason I included Barcelona in the itinerary of my Last Hurrah trip. I’ve loved his work for as long as I can remember. My fi...