Wednesday 15 March 2017

London … city of culture – the plays

16 - 25 August, 2014

I saw two plays, Great Britain and Skylight. Some time earlier I’d read excellent reviews of both in The Tablet. Lucky for me, it meant I’d booked before leaving home – they were both sell-outs.

Great Britain, at the Lyttleton Theatre in the National Theatre complex, was supposed to be a satire about the recent phone hacking scandals and the Murdoch press. There were plenty of laughs that I got and quite a few that I missed through the very fast delivery by the actors. I thought it was me but an English woman sitting next to me commented on it before I said a word. Also, the characters were so like those in “real life” that it was hard to separate them from reality. The “satire” was really nothing more than had been printed in newspapers for the length of the hearings into the matter. It was good but …. missed the mark a bit.
The National is undergoing renovation. I loved their construction site hording.

Welcome to the National Theatre

On the other hand, Skylight, a David Hare play being performed in the West End, was fabulous. Mind you, it would want to be for the price! I wouldn’t have gone but for Suzannah giving me a generous cash gift on my last day at work. I wanted to see Bill Nighy in action. I love his quirkiness – and wasn’t disappointed. Suzannah approved my choice because it also starred Carey Mulligan. I’d never heard of her, showing how out of touch I am!. She was terrific, on-stage for the entire show.

Wyndham's Theatre - Skylight set



Is Barcelona, is Gaudi – Sagrada Familia (pt.1)

Gaudi is the reason I included Barcelona in the itinerary of my Last Hurrah trip. I’ve loved his work for as long as I can remember. My fi...