Thursday 23 March 2017

By the sea … at Asilah


11 September 2014

I loved Asilah! (There weren't many places I didn't love, to be honest!) It was an early afternoon arrival in Asilah. The faithful chariot was parked outside the walls while Hami carried my bags and I followed to the riad I was staying in that night, Dar Manara. Smaller than other riads I’d stayed in but absolutely delightful, as was the hostess.

It's covered a few miles!
Entrance to the riad
and the window to my room
Quirky shower wall

After settling in I wandered freely about the town. First within the walls, simply enjoying the art work and relaxed beauty. No need to worry about cars.













But no, this is one photo I did not take! 

No selfies for me  ;-)

Outside the walls of the old town there was a real mixed bag, including more murals, another church and, believe it or not, thoughts of my ex who used to run a timber yard and building supplies business. Fancy that! Plus a different view of the walls. And wider streets, of course.












 The walls were put to another use – young bucks jumped off the ramparts into the sea. It was both thrilling and scary to watch them in action.







Or you could be like me: sit under an umbrella, sipping a coke, surveying the scene and contemplating the purchase of an ‘off the plan’ seaside apartment.





I won’t say I could have stayed at Asilah forever … but I could have stayed there for quite a long time!



Is Barcelona, is Gaudi – Sagrada Familia (pt.1)

Gaudi is the reason I included Barcelona in the itinerary of my Last Hurrah trip. I’ve loved his work for as long as I can remember. My fi...