Thursday 30 March 2017

Goodbye to Morocco

12 – 13 September, 2014



Leaving Rabat really was like saying goodbye to the whole country.
Hami seemed to agree when I suggested turning off and heading back to Ouarzazate to do it all again. But somehow he always seemed to be in the wrong lane and missed several turn-offs. Hmmm …

It was a short drive to Casablanca. Time to eat, pack, sleep then head to the airport in the morning.
Mind you, crossing the city to get to my hotel was ‘interesting’. There was the crazy, scary traffic in El Jadida. There’s the crazy high speed traffic in Rome. But here in Casablanca, crazy but not so scary. When eight or so lanes from several roads converge into one three lane road it’s a case of hold your nerve and inch your way forward. But from start to finish I was safe with Hami.








After a last glimpse of the sea at breakfast, and just before leaving my room, it was off to the airport.

Last view of Casablanca from my hotel room -
Hassan II Mosque on the skyline
Last view of the sea -
from the hotel breakfast room

Ah, the airport. A hassle getting into the country, a hassle getting out.
But everything in between … brilliant!!!



I felt so sad leaving Hami as I went into the terminal to catch my flight to Barcelona.
Hami and his country will always hold a special place in my heart.

“Thank You” doesn’t really cover it at all!

And one last glimpse from the air ...

Hassan II Mosque

I must also say thank you to Georgina in the Berber Treasures Sydney office for handling my booking so well, answering all my questions, genuinely caring, before, during and after the trip, that I had a great time.
If you want to go to Morocco – and why wouldn’t you, it’s so fabulous – do it with the locals, Berber Treasures (online and on FaceBook).




Is Barcelona, is Gaudi – Sagrada Familia (pt.1)

Gaudi is the reason I included Barcelona in the itinerary of my Last Hurrah trip. I’ve loved his work for as long as I can remember. My fi...