Wednesday 15 March 2017

Marrakech via El Jadida

28 – 29 August, 2014

At 9.00am on Thursday 28 August I was ready to hit the road with Hami, into the great unknown, or 90 km down the road to El Jadida according to the itinerary. Not the scenic coastal drive I’d been expecting but a swift trip along the nearest thing to a freeway that I’ve seen here.

El Jadida’s claim to fame, from a tourist perspective, is its walled fort area. So I walked the ramparts that the Portuguese built to protect themselves a few centuries ago and looked down on the small fishing boats that sail those waters today.

El Jadida - secure for the Portuguese ... for a while

Fishing boats at El Jadida

It was a short-ish drive to El Jadida then a long-ish drive to Marrakech, through some pretty inhospitable countryside which I was assured would grow wheat in due season.

On the road to Marrakech

Contrary to expectations, the traffic in Marrakech was not quite as bad as in El Jadida where it was scarily chaotic. All the same, it was warm and I was glad to take a dip in the rooftop pool at the riad where I was to spend the next two nights.

Arriving in Marrakech - Koutoubia mosque in the distance.
And remarkably organised traffic!

Next morning it was time to meet my local guide for the day. Mohammed was good company as well as being informative. First stop was the Koutoubia mosque (old demolished, new built next door with a change of regime way back when) and the gardens opposite for a bit of a history lesson, which obviously didn’t lodge in the brain for very long. Then into the medina and a walk around the districts until we came to Palais Bahia, built only 120 years ago, used as a family home, then offices for the French when in power, now a museum piece.

Palais Bahia -
intricate plasterwork in the archway, painted roof above

Next up was the historic mosque at Place Moulay El Yazid, dating back to the 12thC, restored several times over the years, noted now for it’s 16thC necropolises.

Necropolis of the 12 columns
More tombs and mosaic tiles

Meanwhile out in the garden …..

.... Pollination

But the fun really started when we hit the souks. First it was the herbalist, alternative medicine in other words. Who knows if it works? It’s hard to resist the hard sell so I try for cheap and possibly useful, in this case some cream for eczema for my daughter which came with (or did I miss the up-selling?!) a small block of soap. It was all very colourful!

Colourful alternative medicines

The next hard sell, which I almost resisted, was at the scarf seller’s. Talk about a sob story. I kept saying ‘No’ but finally there was a price I couldn’t resist for a ‘silk’ scarf made of cactus fibre! Sale made, the show was over and I was of no further interest.


With scarf, Moroccan style -
not the scarf I bought, mine is red and black

Having been nicely softened up, it was off to the carpet seller – but he was never going to win this one. I simply don’t have that sort of money. First there was the tea to drink. While sipping, carpet after carpet was produced: which did I like best – well, I picked three; could I see it in my home – not one of them, even if I had the necessary dollars. “But Madame you are my first customer today and you bring me good luck.” Where had I heard that before? And no I didn’t, hopefully others, later, had bulging wallets for him.

Magic carpets

Truth be told, if I had had the money, I’d have gone for the leathergoods, some gorgeous handbags!!

Wrought iron work, made on the spot

The souks still house working artisans but most were still on summer holidays. And there’s lots of food, of course!

Dates and more

One thing I learned …. I’ve admired studded doors since my visit to Tunisia ten or so years ago. I hadn’t realised that the patterns had meaning – this pattern for my place, that for yours, much as people identified homes in England by the patterns or pictures in fanlights above their doors, in the days before street addresses and postcodes.

Studded door

And one thing I know but keep learning anew: for all our differences, there is so much we have in common, wherever we live, whatever our race, religion, colour ….

Traipsing around for hours, lunch on the run (a genuine kebab rather than the Aussie version) and I was glad to get back to the rooftop pool!

Rooftop pool at the Marrakech riad

Marrakech had moved on since Evelyn Waugh and Brideshead Revisited and the mystique I’d imagined wasn’t there. Instead there was a mix of old and new, souks and still mysterious alleyways but also a bustling metropolis. Illusions not exactly shattered, rather, readjusted …. all fascinating, and to be here ….. so hard to believe, so lucky.

Is Barcelona, is Gaudi – Sagrada Familia (pt.1)

Gaudi is the reason I included Barcelona in the itinerary of my Last Hurrah trip. I’ve loved his work for as long as I can remember. My fi...